Another milestone for Kilkenny Archives: Ministerial and Local Authority Support
Recently Mr P. Hogan T.D., Minister of the Environment and Mr Liam Herlihy, Chairman of Glanbia, took time out from their busy schedules to visit Kilkenny Archives at St Kieran’s College to view the newly installed purpose built archival shelving, which Glanbia PLC have donated.
Mgr Kieron Kennedy was on hand to welcome the distinguished visitors as were Mr Brendan Conway (Chairman), Mr Peter Seaver (Hon. Treasurer) and Mr John Kirwan (Consultant Archivist). The Rev. Dr Fergus Farrell, Diocesan Archivist ad Committee Member was also present. Kilkenny Archives chairman, Brendan Conway, welcomed Minister Hogan and Mr Herlihy to view the refurbished and extended archives storage area. He referred to the day as a ‘bench mark day’ in the progress of archives in Kilkenny.
Grant from Kilkenny Borough Council for Kilkenny Archives
Minister Hogan brought the good news that the Kilkenny City Borough Council, aware of the valuable work being done for the archives in Kilkenny (city and county) by Kilkenny Archives, have agreed to grant-aid the work this year and in 2014.
New Archival Shelving by Glanbia PLC
The new archival shelving was installed in early March in two of the six rooms which Mgr Kieron Kennedy and the Trustees of St Kieran’s College have placed at the disposal of Kilkenny Archives. They believe that Kilkenny Archives will have a pivotal educational role on the College Campus (and for Kilkenny as a whole) in the years ahead, alongsinde the Outreach of the National University of Maynooth and the Waterford Institute of Technology. The Maynooth Outreach at St Kieran’s College will this year accept First Arts students.
Mr Herlihy was delighted to see Glanbia’s own archives, representing a number of the old co-operative creameries, which are now part of this ever explanding dynamic Irish company. Minute Books and other records are in situ. There also also records from non-dairy companies and these records have been fully accessioned and are currently available for consultation.
Awaiting to be catalogued are the records from Inch Creamery, Co Wexford, which only arrived at Kilkenny Archives recently. These include Minute Books, milk records and a number of framed illustrations including a portrait of Francois Mitterand, President of France, partaking of a Yoplait Yogurt. Inch was an early creamery. Around the beginning of the 1890s the first of the Irish creameries were established. By 1893 there were at least thirty in the country. In 1895 the farmers around Inch came together and set up their creamery with a foundation date of 29 March 1895. The clergy often paid a key role and Inch is no exception with the then Archbishop of Dublin advancing a loan of £100.00 provided a creamery along the lines of those advocated by Sir Horace Plunkett, who is perceived as the founder of the Irish creamery movement. To put the archbishop’s loan into perspective the site of new creamery was purchased for £10.00 plus ten £1 shares in Inch Creamery. By 1900 there were over 800 co-operatives in the country of which 350 were creameries.
One of the oldest illustrative items in the Glanbia Collection is a view of the old Barrowvale Creamery at Goresbridge which buildings have been subsumed into later developments on the site which is just off the Main Street, at Goresbridge, very near the bridge from which ‘Goresbridge’ derives its name: the really old name for the area as opposed to the site at the bridge was Grange Silvae. The surname Gore commemorates a family of that name which built the nearby Barrowmount House in the very early years of the eighteenth century, which for many years in the last century was owned by Jack Donohoe, formerly of Lower Grange and Ballellen, whose family would have supplied milk to Barrowvale. Jack Donohoe and his wife Lulu are best remembered for their ownership in the 1960s of the famous mare, Height O’ Fashion.
Other Archival Collections
Kilkenny Archives is also home to the following collections: The Prior-Wandesford Family Papers; The Barton of Ballyline (Callan) Papers; The Paper of the Estate Office of Kilkenny (A.G. Davis); Kilkenny Castle Papers; Gowran Castle Papers; Kavanagh Estate Papers, Ballyragget; The Maidenahll-Lavistown Papers; The Briggs-Swifte Papers; The Wheeler-Cuffe Papers of Lyrath and The Papers of the Praesidium of Our Lady Queen of Charity (Legion of Mary).
Kilkenny Archives’ direct landline number is 056-7753622
Arising from this extended facility Kilkenny Archives are in a position to accept further donations.
The Letters and Papers of the Clarke, Butler, Doudney and Lenox-Conyngham Families of Maidenhall and Lavistown.
‘Its an ill-wind which brings no good’.
Many of us, the family and friends of the late Melosina Lenox-Conyngham of Lavistown (1941-2011), who died early in October last year, could see only loss as a result of her early death. Through RTE’s Sunday Miscellany, Melo was known to many. But since then her family, the Lenox-Conyngham’s of Anaverna,Co,. Louth, the Grenes of Ballinaclash, Co. Wicklow, the Butlers of maidenhall and neighbours amp; close friends, chiefly the Goodwillies of Lavistown House, have given to Kilkenny Archive Ltd., the papers which Melo had carefully preserved which had been collected by her great-grandmother, Mary Elizabeth Pearson Mrs. Marshal Clarke of Griaguenoe near Thurles, Co. Tipperary; of her grandmother, Mrs. Harriet (Rita) Butler (née Clarke), wife of George Butler of Maidenhall ; the papers of her great-aunt, Miss Florence Butler (1856-1925) and finally the papers of her aunt, Cicely Butler, later Mrs. Doudney. There are also some letters and papers from the young days of her mother, Joan Butler, later Mrs. G. Lenox-Conyngham of Anaverna, Ravensdale, Co. Louth. The Lenox-Conynghams were tea-planters in Ceylon all during the first half of the twentieth century. The family’s oldest Irish house is the very beautiful Springhill House in northern Ireland, which was given to the National Trust in the 1950s.
Mrs. Mary Clarke in her widowhood and old age came to live at Maidenhall with her daughter Harriet, Mrs. George Butler. Here we found amongst other things a series of letters written by her son ‘Otty’, who like many an Irishmen, then and now, had to go abroad for work. Loftus Otway Clarke (1871-1954) to give him his full name, joined the Indian civil service after taking his degree at Christchurch, Oxford. ‘Otty’ corresponded not only with his mother and sister at Maidenhall but also with his nieces and nephews, thus letters written to Hubert, Gilbert, Joan and Cicely Butler are found here. In his letters we find comments on such notable figures as Ghandi, Eamonn De Valera and the latter’s negotiations (through Michael Collins and the team of Irish negotiators) with Lloyd George, which ultimately led to our independence as the Irish Free State.
In his letters too we find comments on the Great War. In 1916 he hoped that ‘the Prince Sixtus of Parma (brother-in-law of the Emperor Karl of Austria-Hungary) Peace Negotiations’ would bring European peace, but he was very doubtful, and as it turned out correct. In 1918 when returning to Ireland for an extended holiday, his ship was sunk off Gibralter. In that same year on his return trip to India for his last period of Indian service before retiring his ship was sunk off Brest. He with other survivors spent 17 hours at sea in a very small craft.
Here too we find comments on the infamous massacre at Amritszar when British troops under the command of an Irishman, Major Dyer, fired on a crowd of protesters or ‘agitators’ as ‘Otty’ calls them, killing many. From his use of the word ‘agitators’ we can clearly see where his sympathies lay. Dyer was subsequently found guilty of misconduct and had to leave the army in disgrace. But British public opinion was on his side and on his forced resignation and return to the England, a sum in excess of £20,000 was raised by public subscription and presented to him ‘Otty’ too felt that Dyer had been unfairly treated, as his prompt action had quietened the Punjab at a very anxious period.
Lotus Otway Clarke spent his last years in India as political agent to the state of Manipur which for him was a very pleasant final posting. Upon his retirement in 1924 he was awarded a C.I.E. (Companion of the Indian Empire). He retired to Radnorshire in Wales where he was a J.P. and High Sheriff for many years. In 1923 his old Tipperary home, Graiguenoe park, near Thurles had been destroyed by fire during ‘the Troubles’. During the 2nd World War he served in the Home Guard. He died in 1954 leaving a son George, who had been largely brought up at Maidenhall, Bennetsbridge, far away from his parents for most of his childhood. During one such period his mother Evelyn, whom he had not seen for many years died after a long illness. The child’s grandmother and aunt had to aid and comfort the motherless nine-year-old boy, whow as quite soon after despatched to school in England.
Shortly before her death Evelyn, née Carden of Fishmoyne, Co. Tipperary, sent to George (born 1908) two pen and ink drawings of the view from her bungalow, which showed the distant mountains of the Himilyas and the even more distant Tibet. These have survived with the letter. Amongst the collection too are letters written by Otty’s younger and as it turned out less fortunate brother, Captain George Vernon Clarke, (born 1873) who was killed in the S. African war in April 1902, just as that war was drawing to a close. The Clarkes a long established Tipperary family, subsequently lived at Athgoe Park near Hazelhatch, Co. Kildare. So this one collection has Tipperary, Kildare and Kilkenny place and family associations.
Amongst the papers of Cicely Butler, later Mrs. Doudney, are a series of letters written by Cicely back to her mother at Maidenhall, in which she describes various trips abroad including one to Kashmir in 1912. Though travelling continuously it was done in considerable style and most evenings the party were served five course dinners which had been prepared by one of the native bearers, who doubled as a cook. On one stop she met fellow Irishman, Quartermaster Captain Foley. India was full of Irish who went out there not only as soldiers or civil servants but also as doctors, engineers etc. My father’s beloved step-mother, Kitty McDyer, whose family hailed from Donegal – and included the famous Fr. McDyer of Glencomcille – was born in India, and when she came to live in Lower Grange, Goresbridge in 1936 she brought with her many Indian influences including an Indian style bungalow complete with mini-verandahs, which replaced the old two-storey long thatched farm house which was destroyed by fire in May 1940. This ‘new bungalow’ still survives. The great house at Castlemorres, Kilmogany was being dismantled at that time, so slates and timber were purchased there for the re-building.
The Butler Society
The Butler Society amongst others have agreed to help with the cost of accessioning and boxing this very valuable collection of papers, which could be loosely be described as ‘A tale of two houses by four women’.
Prior-Wandesforde Gift of Great War Letters.
Just this week Mr and Mrs. Peter Prior-Wandesforde have confirmed in writing that they wish to make an outright gift to Kilkenny Archives Ltd of the letters of Lt. Christopher Prior-Wandesforde (1897-1917) which were written from the trenches of France and Flanders to his family at Castlecomer House. Also included in this very valuable gift are the letters of Christopher’s father, Captain Richard Prior-Wandesforde who served until illness forced his retirement after the death of his eldest son.
Captain Richard Prior-Wandesforde (known as ‘Wandy’) because of his age could have escaped front-line duty but he choose not to do so. After the war the letters of their lost son were carefully kept and some of them were annotated by the grieving parents. The last letter written by Lt. Christopher to his mother, arrived in Castlecomer a few days after his death: to-day the envelope bears the inscription ‘my beloved first-born’s last letter home’. Many an Irish home had similar experiences during the 1914-1918 period.
The Bryan Guinness Trust Grant
Recently too Kilkenny Archives Ltd., which is how housed on the St. Kieran’s College Campus through the generosity of the President and Trustees, was awarded a grant of €5,000 by the Bryan Guinness Memorial Trust which is based in Hampshire, England. Back in 1994-5, when we were starting out under the auspices of the late Mrs. Susan Margaret (Peggy) Butler, widow of Hubert, it gave us a very generous grant of £10,000 which got us up and running. The Hon. Desmond Guinness a son of Brian Guinness backed our current appeal to his family Trust.
Lanigan and Toler-Aylward Families.
Two other local families notably the Toler-Aylwards of Shankill, Paulstown and the family of Mrs. Kitty Laniga (née Harte), who is perhaps best remembered in her native place for the excellent architectural guide of Kilkenny which she did with Gerald Tyler, which is a treasure in many a Kilkenny library. The Lanigan photographs document our city in the 1960s and early 1970s, just before momentous changes occurred.
The Guinness Trust money has been set aside to start the work on the Toler-Aylward Papers. This is not the first time that this family has given valuable material to the city: the presence of the Toler-Aylward Costume Collection at Rothe House is a testimony to past generosity.
The directors and officers of Kilkenny Archives are: Brendan Conway (chairman), Peter Seaver (treasurer), John Kirwan (secretary and working archivist), the Rev. Dr. Fergus Farrell, Ann Tierney, Julia Crampton amp; Nicholas Mosse. Contact maybe made through Kilkenny Archives internet site or to John Kirwan 085-7484291. The catalogued collections are open to research by the general public.
John Kirwan, Archivist
NEW MATERIAL 2011
History of Glanbia on view in St. Kieran’s
Last year Glanbia became the first commercial company in Kilkenny to recognise the worth of Kilkenny Archives Ltd., and see a community value in what it does. Last last year it handed into the safekeeping of Kilkenny Archives all its old Creamery Records and a very generous dontation which paid for the accessioning and boxing of these valuable Kilkenny Creamery records, most of which were old Minute Books.
The archives of many of the long-established creameries that subsequently became part of Waterford Foods and Avonmore Foods, which combined in 1997 to create Glanbia, are now housed in the care of the St. Kieran’s College-based Kilkenny Archives and are accessible for public viewing.
In the course of researching a history of Glanbia to commemorate the 10th anniverary of the merger – and the subsequent publication of Glanbia – The Story So Far, many records were located throughout the South East and are now part of the Glanbia Archive which is on a long-term loan to Kilkenny Archives Ltd.
The Glanbia Collection has records from Avonmore, Ballingarry, Barrowvale, Ballyale, Ballypatrick, Ballyragget, Castlehale, Castlecomer, Donaghmore, Dungarvan (Co. Waterford), Freshford, Glenmore, Graiguecullen (Co. Carlow), IDA Co-Operative, Kells, Kilkenny (city), Leinster Milk Products, Letterkenny Milk Products, Letterkenny Timber Co., Loughcullen, Miloko, Muckalee, Mullinavat, Piltown, Slieverue, The Bacon Co. of Ireland and Windgap.
“Glanbia has a long and proud history embedded in the Co-operative movement of late 19th and 20th century Ireland”, said Glanbia chairman Liam Herlihy. “We have evolved from more than 50 individual companies and co-ops in a vibrant international cheese and nutritional solutions company which is today exporting to more than 100 countries worldwide. This growth and succss is a tribute to our forefathers and we value the lessons learned from these men and women who worked tirelessly to create the co-operatives, which are the bedrock of Glanbia”.
Among the records lodged include the minute books and papers of Kilmanagh Co-operative Creamery, which is one of the oldest – if not the oldest – creamery in Kilkenny.
Records relating to other Kilkenny Co-Operative Societies are also known to exist and the search is now on for them. Anyone with further information or material for inclusion in the Glanbia Archive is asked to contact Glanbia’s head office at 0567772200 or John Kirwan at Kilkenny Archives Ltd at 0857484291 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
During the years 1999 to 2011 the following Collections were given to Kilkenny Archives Ltd. and these Collections have now been fully accessioned. Electronic catalogues are available:
- The Prior-Wandesforde Papers (now including the Great War Letters of Captain Richard C. and his son Lt Christopher Prior-Wandesforde, gifted November 2012)
- The Barton (Ballyline) Papers
- The Wheeler-Cuffe (Lyrath) Papers
- The Gowran Castle Estate Papers
- The Kilkenny Castle Papers
- The Kilkenny Castle Estate Office (Sydenham Davis)
- The Kavanagh Estate (Borris) Papers
- The Briggs-Swifte Papers (Swiftesheath)
- Glanbia Papers (received November 2011)