O.G.S. CRAWFORD COLLECTION
A major collection of photographs of Kilkenny (c.1946) by the acclaimed archaeologist – Scottish parentage but born in India – Osbert Guy Stanhope Crawford has been presented to Kilkenny Archives by Mrs. Richard (Julia) Crampton of Maidenhall, Bennetsbridge, Co. Kilkenny, the only daughter of Hubert and Peggy Butler.
NEW to the Kilkenny Archives Collection: Papers of the family of Hubert M. Butler: Maidenhall-Lavistown Papers.
The papers of the Clarke family of Graiguenoe, Thurles, Co. Tipperary, the Butlers of Maidenhall, the Doudneys and Lennox-Cunninghams of Lavistown House, in effect the family of Hubert M. Butler (1900-1990). Continue reading Maidenhall Lavistown Papers
Material donated to Kilkenny Archives by the Prior-Wandesforde Family, formerly of Castlecomer House.
Over 2000 letters written by Capt. Richard Henry Prior-Wandesforde, during the Great War years, to his wife, Florence, starting from the time of the couple’s engagement in 1895 until their deaths in the 1950s have been gifted. The letters contain many hitherto unknown details about the operations of the Castlecomer Colliery and much too about their private family life, during the early years of the Irish Free State.
Material will shortly be accessioned and become available.
NEW addition to the Kilkenny Archives collection: Letters written by Captain Richard Prior-Wandesforde and his son, Lt Christopher Prior-Wandesforde during the Great War years. Donated November 2012.
Continue reading New addition to the Kilkenny Archives Collection – Prior Wandesforde letters
History of Glanbia on view in St. Kieran’s
Glanbia became the first commercial company in Kilkenny to recognise the worth of Kilkenny Archives Ltd., and see a community value in what it does. Last year it handed into the safekeeping of Kilkenny Archives all its old Creamery Records and a very generous dontation which paid for the accessioning and boxing of these valuable Kilkenny Creamery records, most of which were old Minute Books. Continue reading History of Glanbia